Monday 13 August 2007

Weekend reading

Unfinished Life was a good book to relax with, a feel-good story I thought, though that sounds a bit trivial. Liked how it concentrated on the goodness in people and how they needed each other. And liked how it stayed in the present where the temptation might have been to go lurching back for lots of big flashbacks.
Now I've decided I may as well get Harry Potter out of the way so spent most of yesterday immersed in the Deathly Hallows and jolly enjoyable it is too. A bit self-indulgently overlong as is J K Rowling's wont, but a good read.
Booker longlist: as usual I hadn't managed to predict any of these so we only have about 4 of the books in library stock already. But did hear the Chair of the judging panel admit on the radio that he'd only heard of about 4 of them too, so don't feel too inadequate. They are all on order.

1 comment:

Aileen said...

Yes, the only author I've read out the list is Anne Enright, I think it was a book of short stories called The Portable Virgin, it was pretty good so I'm not sure why I never read any more of her stuff.