Tuesday 6 November 2007

Audio adventure

I thought it was time I started posting to the blog. (Karen has been telling me it was time for a few months now!) I have managed to read quite a bit lately. I really liked 'In the Woods' by Tana French, about a detective investigating a murder in woods next to an estate in Ireland. He doesn't admit to it, but he and his friends were abducted there when he small, and he moved away and changed his name after he was the only one to make it out alive. He remembered nothing at the time, and still doesn't, although the case brings back some echoes of memory. It was like your usual crime thriller, but with a lot of thoughfulness added in.
I have also been reading my usual teenage fare, two diares, one a hilarious modern 'adrian mole' type (My so called life) and one more of an 'I'm fat and sad becuase nobody loves me' type (my fat, mad, teenage diary). I liked the first one best. I finally got around to the latest Kevin Brooks 'The road of the dead' which was, like all Kevin Brooks, fantastic. I really like his style of writing.
I am off south on a school trip tomorrow and will be taking my dinky little ipod shuffle and two audiobooks with me. I have subscribed to an audiobook service, and I will be getting one book a month (and the ipod was free!). I have never had much experience of audiobooks, so I am hoping I will like it. Now that I take the car to work I really miss my time on the bus - two half hours a day of guaranteed peaceful reading time. I am hoping to play audiobooks in the car to get nearly the same effect, although I will have to remember to pay attention to the road!
I am also hoping to knit while listening to audiobooks, since it is not possible to knit and read normally (yes, sadly I did try!). I have only recently started knitting and I am very slow at it, so need to do something else at the same time. I have started with 'On Chesil Beach' and 'The God delusion'. I will let you know how I get on with them.

No comments: