Thursday 27 September 2007

Red Tent: do a wall chart!

Got well into our next book The Red Tent last night due to insomnia: great book but I have a Top Tip: photocopy the family tree from the front of the book before you begin, so that you can glance at it to see who's who without constantly flicking back and forth through the book!

Was sorry I missed the start of last night's meeting, I felt addled by my two hours of belly dancing by the time I got there (this Shetland social life is just a bit much at times...) and it was hard to concentrate on the books. I thought the two were interesting to read in tandem. The Stornoway Way will stick in my mind more, even though it annoyed me at first - I thought it's description of alcoholism was very haunting in the end. I sometimes note down phrases that grab me - one from this book was the hilarious description of a 'quiveringly ambitious carry out', the other was nearer his demise - 'drinking is like filling yourself up with emptiness'. Think I'll stay off the gin for a wee while.

No comments: