Tuesday 30 October 2007

Red Tent again. And Hairy Men.

Good June, glad you enjoyed it - for those who didn't make the meeting, The Red Tent caused a schism in the book group, with about half of us liking it, the other half not - partly, if I'm understanding this right, because it was too repetitive and uneventful. I'm in the first camp - if you'll pardon the pun - like June I really enjoyed the description of day to day life, and in fact when the real action did come, in the form of a very biblical massacre, I was quite aggrieved that the rhythm of the story had been disrupted.

On a different matter entirely, I was recently browsing through a 1983 edition of The Joy of Sex, for reasons I won't detain you with. Those of you familiar with this work will recall that the illustrations - rather fine and very graphic - unfortunately feature a model universally refered to by readers as 'that dodgy bearded guy'. He does kind of put you off a bit - but I'm pleased to report that I've checked Amazon and there's a new updated version with photos, and no bearded man. The end of an era.

1 comment:

Aileen said...

Maybe we should read it for the next meeting.