Tuesday 30 October 2007

The Red Tent, ah, for the good old days

Well, I know you have all long since moved on from The Red Tent, but I have only just finished it. At first I thought boring..., as one or two others said 'It's a bit repetitive' and as for the motherhood bit, well being a mother of five myself, I don't really need to be reminded of the agonies of childbirth on every second page. But as the book went on, I really began to enjoy it and apart from the bloody massacre bit, I liked the peacefulness of the daily routines and a much simpler way of life. Hmmm...

I've read half of Salman Rushdie's Midnights Children, heavy going but I will get back to it.

I'm into all things Gavin Maxwell at the moment, having seen the play at the Garrison the other week, it prompted me to do a bit of research on the guy - a fascinating character, totally eccentric of course, but that's what made him so absorbing. Tried to get hold of Douglas Bottings' biography of Maxwell, but alas out of print and no longer avaliable through Amazon. Shame.

Has anyone read Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson? I love the style of it, a quick read too, might be worth thinking of for future book group reads.

Good news! Maybe my previous wailing on the blog about the loss of my beloved books stirred some guilt pangs as I've recently been able to retrieve a large percentage of my book collection! It was a happy day when I went to collect them. Now those books combined with the books I've gathered in the past twelve months amount to a fair few books as you can imagine...

We are about to move house, to a very old house in Mossbank (it's a listed building). My plans for my study (library) in the upstairs attic rooms have been scuppered. Paul says the 150 year old floor will not cope with the weight - back to the drawing board, or should that be floorboards?

2 comments:

Karen said...

hurrah on getting the books back, well done!

Aileen said...

Yes I love Lighthousekeeping, I managed to get hold of a signed copy in Waterstones. I really like most Jeanette Winterson books, she has a very unique style and is a great storyteller. I highly recommend it. Glad you got your books back too, you must feel good.